Exemption from the usage fee for the Data Science Infrastructure as a power-saving measure
In order to save electricity throughout RIKEN, we promote the migration of computing resources such as computers and storage space currently in use at each laboratory to the Data Science Infrastructure HOKUSAI SailingShip (SS). To promote the migration, the SS usage fee for the migration will be exempted.
- Servers and storage currently in use at all RIKEN sites to be migrated to SS between December 2022 and February 2023.
- The migration period shall be the minimum necessary and in principle within one month.
- Only those in use with the power on will be considered, not including notebook PCs.
- Those that are turned off for power-saving measures, will be included in the scope.
Computing Resources for Exempting Usage Fees
- From the start of the migration to the end of March 2024, the usage fees will be exempted.
- In principle, 2 vCPU per physical core of the CPU of the computing resource to be migrated will be exempted.
- The upper limit per laboratory is 10 SS nodes (920 vCPU).
- The usage fee will be waived for the effective capacity of the storage space to be migrated.
- The upper limit per laboratory is 100 TB.
- Send an email to E-mail: with the application details shown below.
- Receive acceptance and guidance
- Migration work to SS
- Project creation at SS
- System construction at SS
- Data migration to SS
- Contact us after the migration is completed
- Confirmation of termination of use of computing resources
- On-site confirmation by Information Systems Division
- Applicant name
- Payment representative
- Must be the same as the payment representative of the SS project.
- Permission must be obtained in advance and included in the CC of the application email.
- Affiliation of the payment representative
- Center name, laboratory name, etc.
- Computing resources to be turned off after the migration
- Overview of Computing Resource Usage
- Total number of cores of servers
- Breakdown for each computing machine, including CPU type
- Effective capacity of storage
- Migration period
- In principle, within 1 month.
- If your system has a certain size and you are uncertain about the feasibility of the migration, please contact us.
- Describe your system and your concerns about the transition.
Example of Application
- SS Usage Information
- Support for PIaaS usage in SS will be available by
the end of Decemberearly January 2023.
- Combination of offering a minimum of VM images and a playbook of Ansible (IT automation tool).
- Account management (LDAP), file server (samba, NFS), remote desktop (rdp, vnc)
- PC cluster construction (slurm, singularity)